Wednesday, September 29, 2010

On To Greener Pastures

Today we moved the sheep into some new pasture area. The fencing is not quite done, still needs to be anchored to the posts, but they're content and don't really challenge fences. I've been meaning to do it for some time but the lack of rain has made the ground as hard as a rock and I lack the upper body strength to drive the posts in. But now we've had rain for the past couple of days and my dad took the opportunity to get the posts in for me while grandma, the girls and I were at the library yesterday. And the sheep are pleased as can be at the lush new grazing.
Just look at that face. Is that a happy girl or what?
Below is a picture I took just shortly after I got them... in May, I think. Rosemary on the left and of course, Finnigan on the right.
And this one I took today, once again, Rosemary on the left. Look how those sweet, fat sheep have grown! Though Finn is heavier, Rosemary is really the fluffier of the two. Her fleece is long and beautifully crimped, while Finn's is short and dense. I can't wait to shear them and start spinning!

It rained on and off all day today. The girls took the opportunity to get muddy.
Really not looking forward to cleaning those shoes. And I took advantage of a quite house and baked and baked. Fresh banana bread anyone?

3 comments:

LittleGreenThread said...

Yes, cleaning the mud off the boys shoes was quite a task :) So glad we got to come over today and meet your sweet girls, and animals. The boys loved it. All the way home Jackson said, "I wanna go back and talk to those sheep". I love, love, love my cowl too!

melissa said...

oh my gosh those sheep are adorable! "Someday" when we live 'on the farm' I hope I am still in a mindset where I'd love to have more animals.

What kind are these? They are so sweet looking.
-missy - www.allireallyneed.ca

Julie said...

I'm glad you came, too, Alison. The girls enjoyed playing with your boys.

Melissa, they are Old English Southdown Babydown Sheep. They're always smiling! They don't call them babydolls for nothing!

Post a Comment